Home / FAQ


Frequently Asked Questions:

Inspections do not involve moving furniture, fixtures, fittings, or the use of invasive procedures. The purpose of the Inspection is to determine so far as is reasonably practicable whether the structure has any visually evident defects that may compromise its stability. If any intrusive measures are required then the surveyor will raise the request accordingly.

Depending on the size of the property and what they find, a structural survey can take anywhere between an hour or two on site to complete the report. The report can take 5 to 10 working days to complete. The timing will vary depending on access and the property size.

A surveyor will look around the property and not the price of the property.

No, this is not part of the structure thus outside the scope of the structural survey.
Surveyors will open cupboards to check for unseen damage or defects that might worsen. The surveyor will take care of the contents of the cupboard and ensure they have the owner’s consent before moving anything.
Surveyors will inspect the loft and pay particular attention to the roof. The roof is often where structural problems hide, particularly as this is an area of the building not typically shown to buyers.
If you have concerns about a structural defect within your property then you should hire a structural engineer to visit and inspect your property and advise you whether the defects are ongoing, historic and whether they are serious or minor. Also if you are preparing to embark on structural works within your property such as creating an extension or loft conversion or even knocking down walls or chimney breasts, it is always recommended to hire a structural engineer to make an inspection and prepare the necessary drawings & calculations to confirm which walls are structural and how to create support required to achieve your aspirations.

A structural engineer can help with specifying structural elements required for altering an existing building or creating a new one. This can be done by doing drawings & calculations to support the build and comply with building regulations (part A – Structure). A structural engineer can also prepare a structural report as a specialist on structural defect issues such as subsidence, movement and cracking etc. A surveyor role can be diverted to carry out general building


on the overall condition of the building, provide valuations or act as an expert witness to resolve a dispute. Party wall surveyors can also help with sorting out party wall disputes and ensuring compliance with party wall act.

The cost of a report should range depending on what is required from the engineer to inspect and report on. Usually for a London domestic property of 3 bedrooms you should expect a range of between £300 – £500. For larger domestic properties such as 5 bedrooms detached houses expect the cost to rise up to £600-700 or more depending on scale.

Delta Design & Build Ltd, provides engineering services for the refurbishment sector and new build projects throughout London and the Home Counties. We are involved in a range of projects including domestic conversions, extensions and refurbishments as well as in the commercial and retail sectors. The construction value of a typical project would range between £30,000 to £2,500,000. The company has 100% building regulations approval.

Our services include but not limited to:


Delta Design & Build Ltd has successfully earned its reputation and has finished over 1250 projects since its inception. We have continued to expand our presence and prove ourselves as a leader in this sector.

The cost will vary considerably depending on factors such as the project size, complexity and the number of parties involved. For example, a simple beam design will cost a few hundred pounds, whereas the cost for full refurbishment consisting of a loft conversion, extension and taking out internal load bearing walls can start from a few hundred pounds up to one thousand pounds and upwards.

Full property address, full set of architectural drawings (or floor plans) and project brief. We will then review the information and if anything else is required for us to provide a quote, we will let you know.
Usually a full set of architectural drawings (plans, elevations and sections) is a good solid way to start. Other information may be required such as tree reports, soil reports, drainage reports, historic reports such as original drawings etc but these can be discussed individually for each project.
Quotes for domestic projects can be given within a day or two. For larger or more complex projects we may need more time to conclude the assessment.

This is dependent on the size and complexity of a project and on the supply of information from relevant parties. We always try to deliver projects quickly, but timescales will always be discussed. Typically for a domestic extension/loft conversion for a 2-bedroom house this can take 8 – 10 working days from the initial site visit. Structural reports will be concluded within 7 working days following inspection.

Yes, unless dictated otherwise. It is good practice to carry out a site inspection and collect as much information as possible about the project in order to provide the best possible design solution and avoid unknowns that could lead to costly and complicated design and construction process.

This depends on many factors such as the type and size of the project as well as the extent of issues we need to assess. For example a 3-4 bedroom house will take approximately 1 – 2 hours.

We are based in Surrey.

We currently cover all boroughs of London and outside the London as well.

  • City of London
  • City of Westminster
  • Kensington and Chelsea
  • Hammersmith and Fulham
  • Wandsworth
  • Lambeth
  • Southwark
  • Tower Hamlets
  • Hackney
  • Islington
  • Camden
  • Brent
  • Ealing
  • Hounslow
  • Richmond upon Thames
  • Kingston upon Thames#
  • Merton
  • Sutton
  • Croydon
  • Bromley
  • Lewisham
  • Greenwich
  • Bexley
  • Havering
  • Barking and Dagenham
  • Redbridge
  • Newham
  • Waltham Forest
  • Haringey
  • Enfield
  • Barnet
  • Harrow
  • Hillingdon

At Delta Design & Build Ltd, our mission is to design & build structures that provide you with the best performance in terms of stability, settlement, vibration, and aesthetic values. Working directly with you, your architects, and other consultants, whether you are an owner, a developer, or a contractor, we advise you on how best to utilize the site constraints to achieve the project vision.

We Believe Building Long Lasting, and Good Happy Business Relationships.
  • Quality Control System, 100% Satisfaction Guarantee.
  • Highly Professional Staff, Accurate Testing Processes.
  • Unrivalled workmanship, Professional and Qualified.
Yes, we answer building control queries as part of our fee and we have 100% building regulations approval.
Yes, we are happy to answer relevant queries about our design to facilitate the construction process.
Payment terms depend on the value of the project, but generally a 50% deposit is required prior to design. The forms of payment we accept are online bank transfers, cheques or cash. Final payments should be made on receipt of our invoice.
Yes, we are qualified structural & civil engineers with UK experience.
Yes, we carry professional indemnity insurance with a limit of £2m, which covers our advice, designs, calculations and reports.

Yes, we do provide build and consultancy services. As well as, we have a list of reputable building contractors and could potentially make a recommendation for your specific project.

Yes, we have a list of reputable building contractors and could potentially make a recommendation for your specific project.
No, we do not provide architectural design services, but we are happy to recommend an architectural firm suitable for your project if required.
A structural engineer is responsible for the design of a building or structure, providing the calculations and drawings relevant to assure structural integrity throughout construction and life cycle. This ensures buildings and structures are safely built and comply with Part A of the Building Regulations.
If construction work is proposed in a project, involving altering the existing structure, adding significant loads or building a new structure, then you will need a structural engineer. If you are unsure whether the alterations are structural (such as whether a wall is load bearing or if removing a chimney has structural implications) then you will also need advice from a structural engineer.
If construction work is proposed in a project, involving altering the existing structure, adding significant loads or building a new structure, then you will need structural calculations. These calculations and drawings will need to be produced by a qualified structural engineer in order to comply with building regulations and other statutory regulations. Not all projects require calculations, but it is recommended that you speak to an engineer to seek advice.
It is recommended to engage with a structural engineer as well as an architect at building control design stage, well ahead of construction. In other cases, particularly for new builds or basement conversions, a structural engineer might be required to carry out a feasibility study before submitting a planning application. The architect can also advise the client on when a structural engineer is required.
Yes, each design is tailored to meet your project’s requirements, following a site inspection. We take into account relevant design codes, building regulations and CDM regulations.
A site inspection will take place and a dialogue will be opened with the architect and the client to finalise the project brief. Upon delivery of the full design package and receipt of relevant statutory approvals construction can commence. Your structural engineer will provide support through to project completion.
If you are planning an extension, loft conversion, full internal remodelling or a new build then yes you will need an architect. Unless your project is limited to removal of one or few walls within your property then you may not need one.
We would recommend you seek the advice of your local council and an Architect or Planner.
Each project is different. Whist neighbouring houses can appear the same, small variances can make a difference in how the design should be approached. We tailor each design to suit your preferences.
Since you have managed to find us then you are on the right path already! A structural engineer can be found through word of mouth or online search, business directories etc. We can help you by starting to discuss your project and supply a quote if required.
Structural surveys are undertaken in order to report on structural defects such as cracks in walls, damage caused by water or subsidence / movement of foundations etc. The initial report will usually be based on a visual inspection of the associated area of concern. If further intrusive investigations are required to identify the cause and condition of the defect/s, we will also advise on this.
Cracks in walls, ceilings and floors are caused by several different reasons. Depending on the size, exact location and frequency of the cracks, the risks associated can vary substantially. Subsidence or movement of foundations can often cause cracking and structural damage to the building above. There are often a variety of causes for these movements and the investigation and remediation can vary based on the cause and associated risk.

The reports can be done by a UK qualified engineer as required. Whilst this should be enough, you should also check with the provider what qualifications they are looking for to be extra sure.

Usually this is done by the architect or if required, the engineer.
You can start work once you have the complete design package, necessary agreements such as; planning permission, party wall agreement (if applicable), free holder consent (if applicable), finance, building control or NHBC if required in advance and of course once you selected a suitable reputable building contractor you are happy with.
It is advisable to consult a structural engineer before doing any work. The engineer can guide you through the process and make necessary assessment in finding out whether it is a load bearing wall.
Please speak to a structural engineer first before making any changes or starting any building work. The engineer can advise whether the wall is load bearing.
This will depend on many design factors and parameters and there is definitely no one set answer. For example a solution to reduce beam weight might be done by choosing two lighter beams instead of one beam or by changing architectural layout and inserting a column somewhere along the span of the beam or by changing the structural layout of the beams, etc. The options can be endless so best to discuss specific requirement with the project engineer with open mind that each project is different and solutions can vary from project to another.
Your works may fall under the regulations of the Party Wall Act 1996 if you are building a wall up to or astride the boundary with a neighbouring property, undertaking work to an existing wall or excavating near a neighbouring building. It is recommended to speak to a party wall surveyor if you are in doubt.